Cruising to Poole, Studland and Swanage
Get further afield with your Boat Club Trafalgar membership.
Sunna is MCA coded, which means she is licensed to cruise outside the Western Solent. This opens up your boating area across the whole of Christchurch Bay to include:
The only area that is not accessible will be Christchurch Harbour and Mudeford Quay due to the local tides and navigational hazards.
Who can book?
Sunna is available to all existing Silver, Platinum and Platinum Corporate members.
To explore these new waters, it is important that you:
- Have at least 2 to 3 years regular boating experience – equating to using a boat at least once a month
- Hold the SRC VHF certification (training is included as part of your Membership)
- Attend our induction session or training as outlined below
Induction & Training for Poole & Swanage
To ensure the safety of all our members who want to take advantage of the new areas, we have three options available for you:
- An induction session with an RYA instructor – for experienced powerboaters
- RYA Powerboat Intermediate Course 2 day course – ideal for upgrading your all round powerboating and navigation skills
- Bespoke 2 day training – tailored to cover all the necessary elements and ideal for members with less experience
1. Induction session
Ideal for members who are able to demonstrate a good knowledge and understanding of the navigational skills required. A detailed list will be provided which will includes skills such as:
- Extended passage planning- routing, safety, pre-trip planning etc
- Meteorology – and interpreting weather forecasts
- Tides and tidal races in the area
- Marinas and safe havens
- Navigational hazards such as Shingles Banks, The Needles, ferries, shipping
- Additional Safety equipment on ‘Sunna’ and how to use it
Maximum 4 people per induction session
Cost: £156 per person, plus fuel used on the session (split between each attendee).
2. RYA Powerboat Intermediate Course
This excellent intermediate course covers passage planning and pilotage by day on coastal waters using traditional plotting as well as electronic plotters and GPS.
It builds on the foundations in the Level 2 course and is ideal for people who want to cruise further afield and drive larger, more powerful boats.
Costs: £349 per person
3. Bespoke training
If you feel you are a little short on experience this is the ideal option to polish up both your classroom and boating skills. Bespoke training is just that and we agree in advance the content you wish to cover.
Day 1 could cover navigation and hands on driving skills
Day 2 fulfil the full induction over to Swanage and Poole with an RYA Instructor